Sounds funny right? Why wouldn’t you believe what you think? Well, our thoughts fill our minds and our minds are the most powerful part of our body so why would we let just any old thought take up space in our mind? We believe we should be picky and weed out the ridiculous and bad things before we choose to believe them. Here are 5 thoughts you can try getting rid of before you believe them.
- Making assumptions about others: Have you ever heard the saying that when you assume something it makes an @$$ out of U and ME? Well, we couldn’t agree with it more. We are all guilty of making assumptions, but more often than not those assumptions backfire on us, causing us to be ignorant, closed minded or downright mean. And though sometimes our assumptions are proven correct, it still does not mean it is okay to make them. We assume something is true and we want to believe ourselves so we do not take the time to ask and learn about a person or a situation instead. I guess you could say it’s the lazy way out. So assuming makes you a lazy ass then huh? No thank you! Instead, the next time you go to make an assumption about someone based on their appearance, where they live, what they do, how they speak, etc… STOP! Don’t let those thoughts get the best of you! You can’t judge a book by its cover so dive in and figure out the facts. Get to know someone or see both sides of a situation. And if you can’t do that, then do your best to give the benefit of the doubt and keep your mind free of assuming thoughts!
- Assuming assumptions of others: So we’re done making assumptions about other people, but have you ever made an assumption about what other people are thinking? You assume that they assume something so you start to believe it without even knowing that it’s true? It’s like a termite. It eats away at you and your relationships. It can cause you to treat someone a certain way based on the things you think they are thinking rather than what is really happening. Doing this can cause problems without there even being a real problem. Assuming that everyone is thinking about you, acting a certain way because of you or doing something to spite you sounds a little narcissistic right? Remember, don’t believe everything you think. Just because you believe something does not mean it is true. And if your assumptions are in fact true, well, who cares! If said person is not going to talk about it with you then it shouldn’t matter to you anyways! When these thoughts creep in, ask yourself why you’re thinking them? What is the real reason behind it? Have you been treated poorly in the past so it is bringing out old wounds? Have you been proven right so many times that you start to assume it for every new situation? Is this person really a draining force in your life that you maybe need to get some space from? Finding out why you think that way will help you avoid this in the future!
- Anxiety: There are so many different causes of anxiety and we won’t pretend to be experts here, but we can talk out of our personal experiences Anxiety stems from our fears, worries or concerns. These thoughts creep into our minds and seem to take control until they cause a physical response like a racing heart, sweaty palms or even a panic attack. Anxiety comes in many forms, but it can cause avoidance of certain situations, closing yourself off or changing your persona to fit as something or someone else. When we personally are experiencing anxiety this is the mantra we repeat. DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK. Over and over again. Just because we are thinking something does not mean it is actually even happening. If we choose to believe these thoughts they can make our mind a war zone. Instead we try asking ourselves what is real. What are the facts. Our emotions are typically not based on facts and therefore we need to weed out some of these thoughts to free ourselves from the constant stress and worry that makes it’s way into our mind. Try finding different activities that help calm your mind like working out, meditating, singing at the top of your lungs, etc… Keep the negative thoughts at bay until you’re clear minded enough to not believe them.
- Advice: When we think a certain way about something it does not mean everyone else should adopt those thoughts or beliefs and we can’t expect them to. And likewise, just because someone else tells you their thoughts, no matter how convincing they can be, it does not mean we have to believe them. The world is full of thoughts and opinions, but just because they are out there does not mean they are right for you. Take advice with a grain of salt and make your beliefs and opinions based on your own experiences. Parenting is a great example of this. Breast fed, bottle fed, formula fed, fed is best, cloth diapering, diaper diapering, etc… The list goes on and on. Getting advice from others is a wonderful help for new moms, but figuring out what works best for you and your family is up to you and you alone. Find out for yourself before you take someone’s word for it!
- Thoughts about yourself. Have you ever looked in a mirror and the first thought that popped into your head was negative? You hate your hair so you will have bad hair days always and forever. You have stretch marks so you hate your body and could never wear a two piece. You battle anxiety so you are crazy and a burden for others. You become hyper focused on the things that bother you rather than the things that make you amazing. If you choose to believe those thoughts you can become so negative about yourself that you can’t see the good and believe in yourself. And if you can’t believe in yourself, why would you expect anyone else to? So the next time you want to complain about your stretch marks remind yourself that you grew a freaking human being. Or the next time you are calling yourself stupid for making a mistake, believe instead that you are able to learn from the situation for the next time. Be your own gate keeper and block out the thoughts that will destroy you.
- BONUS – Our lives: Thinking you have all the time in the world to start pursuing your dream, assuming you will always be a certain way because that’s what you’re used to, limiting yourself because of your environment or how you were raised. STOP THINKING THESE THOUGHTS! Reality check – You do not have all the time in the world. We know all too well that this is not true, so get your butt in gear! And just because you are used to a certain lifestyle does not mean you have to be stuck in it for the rest of your life! The only thing limiting you is YOU and your thoughts! Nobody determines what you believe in but yourself so take responsibility for what you give energy to. If a bad thought pops in and doesn’t feel right then question it? Outsmart your silly thoughts! Get rid of them! Don’t let them dictate your life! You decide what makes its way into that mind of yours so choose wisely!
So we give you the permission right here and right now to be picky! Treat your mind like the most prized possession you have. Don’t let anything clutter it with junk! Only the very best for the very best!